Ch. 1. Introduction
I have to start with an apology – to all of those who follow
me on Instagram or have been bored to tears with my accounts of fabricating even the smallest component – you may have heard some of this before, but rest assured that
are some new bits coming. Last word on it - I am not going to refer to current news events –
we all need relief from that.
To my mind I’m still one of the new boys in the motorcycle
team, having joined up in mid-2017, but looking back realise that it has
already become a very significant part of my life. I look forward to Thursdays with
unexpected enthusiasm and will rearrange my other activities and part-time work
to try and accommodate the weekly outing – usually with a ride on one of my
bikes.
The pivotal moment for me was our first test day at Dunsfold
in 2019. I can only guess that it was a realisation – albeit for an ageing motorcyclist
– that I had always wanted to go bike racing.
On that day, in what can only have been an act of blind
faith or gross recklessness Perry let me ride his newly built Freddie Clark T80
- and in his absence. I have done track days before, and even the bike racing
school at Brands, but riding a machine that I had played a small part in
building added an extra dimension.
2019 just got better with the second Dunsfold test day and
then Montlhery. If you’ve done it before you may take riding there in your
stride, but for me to take a race bike around a track, that up to that
moment was a place I had only read about, was an incredible experience.
In a further act of unbelievable generosity, Mike Digby then
loaned me his spare T70 for Mallory. Going around Gerrards was the stuff of my
dreams – that was until Colin went straight round the outside of me on his Scott – elbow
dragging a la Marquez – at least that was my comparison.
Earlier that year in March I had already purchased (most of
– perhaps 50% if I’m honest) a 1932 BSA B31-2. After Dunsfold I increasingly realised
that I needed a bike of my own that I could ride without the fear of blowing up
or crashing someone else’s pride and joy. Initially I had planned on a two-year
project, but the 2019 events have galvanised me into further action and my plan
has been to complete the bike in a “prototype” form for 2020 events – Mallory
and Le Puy de Notre Dame. We must expect that these are doubtful at best for
this year but I’m pressing on. Workshop time is now more readily achieved but
parts and material may be harder to come by.
Anyway, here’s Marge, as purchased – and yes it (she?) looks
slightly out of alignment – but we’ll get to more of that later.
To be continued...............


Comments
Post a Comment