Chapter 3. Why a BSA and why Marge
I’ve never actually considered myself a “BSA” enthusiast,
although I own a C15 converted to a C15T for green lane riding, nor do I
normally give my bikes a name, except when the b**tards won’t start. However,
as I was in the process of buying the B31-2 on eBay, that difficult time when
you’ve actually bought it, but have yet to tell your wife or partner, I was
doing some on-line research into the model. I happened across more than one
article and many photos of Marjorie Cottle, one of Britain’s best-known
motorcyclists in the 1920’s and ‘30s and actually a “works” rider. Giving my
bike a female persona did actually help smooth things over for a while, although
that’s been wearing a bit thin these days as I’m spending a lot of time in my
workshop, only emerging to collect “another present for Marge” from the postman
or courier.
Marjorie mainly competed in Trials events, and in the 1927
ISDT picked up a Silver Vase. Good old Wikipedia records her as competing in
this event every year from 1925 to 1939. As we all know...? Brooklands was used in the ISDT for the reliability trials.
This splendid photo was captioned ‘Marjorie oils
up – 22nd June 1925: Marjorie Cottle, one of three female competitors in the
International six day reliability trials at Brooklands, oils up her bike before
the race.’ I’m guess people were a little more innocent in their thoughts in those
days.
Marjorie initially rode for Raleigh, as in the photo above,
but in 1930 when the event was held in Italy switched to BSA where she
continued until 1937, her last two years of competition being on a Triumph. From 1929 through
1936 the event was held in a variety of European countries, but in ’37 the ISDT
returned to Wales and England. I like to think that on her 250 BSA she would
have done some laps of our circuit – perhaps one of the archivists can advise
me on this? She has been attributed with some wonderful quotes, such as “to
never let yourself be photographed using the wrong spanner or donning make up
whilst sat on the motorcycle or of being untidy and dirty.” I think the
first bit of advice, but not the latter, would apply to Perry and me working in
the McEvoy shed on a busy day.
Anyway, do a search on-line and you’ll turn up some
wonderful photos and articles from the time, but here are a couple of Marjorie, with a BSA 250 like mine.
Comments
Post a Comment