Chapter 7. Drive Time
I can’t begin without saying that I’ve had the bike running,
albeit briefly! I’ll come to the detail later in the story, but it represents a
milestone in the build. I genuinely gave it about 10% chance, particularly as
it meant having to do a bump start in my back garden and stopping before I hit
the garden furniture. I also had to fit the second hand Amal 276 carb as the
Kehin look-a-like, referred to last week, was about 1-2 mm too big to fit in,
plus a myriad of other last minute snags, such as the gear selector jamming.
That’s the good news story - you know I was being clever,
going on about using plugs in the various ports and holes to stop bolts
dropping in? Guess what, just about to fill the gearbox with oil and a small
cover screw falls in. First thoughts (the devil on your shoulder) it’ll sit
there at the bottom of the box and no-one’s the wiser. Second thoughts, what if
it catches in the gear teeth and wrecks the box – remember no spare parts available
for this dear old bike. Common sense prevailed, and luckily the gearbox end
cover can be taken off in situ. There it was, lurking under the kickstart
quadrant.
Back to the story: By now I had the main components
assembled, frame, forks, wheels, engine and gearbox and needed to sort out the
engine plates to literally hold it all together. The period parts manual had some
thumb nail sketches of what they should look like, and Perry’s general
arrangement drawing allowed me to work out the approximate dimensions between
the mounting studs. I also found one ad on eBay for a similar set so I knew
roughly what was required. The first patterns were made from plywood sheets,
followed by some thin gauge alloy plate, and I homed in on the exact
dimensions, each time setting the frame up and re-measuring. The final
iteration was a set of plates cut from 8.8 mm alloy plate. To get the square
edge look, as you get with CNC or laser machining, I used a cylindrical
cutter mounted in my pillar drill and moved the plates by hand on the table.

I’ve made up some spacers out of solid 1” alloy bar and some
eccentric bushes for the rear mounting stud (you can see in the photo above)
that allow all the components to fit snugly without having to stress the frame.
The primary chain adjuster is fabricated from steel bar and heavy-duty angle
and jacks the rear gearbox mounting stud backwards and forwards.

Researching the BSA clutch got me nowhere. No original parts
are available, although I have the gearbox clutch sleeve. Also, every article I
found said that BSA clutches were not up to much anyway and most – certainly
post-war – could be usefully converted to a Triumph type. I’ve always been an
admirer of Perry’s clutch (if that doesn’t sound to risqué) so I decided to
source one of those.
Again I went from expecting there would be hundreds of
used ones to choose from I couldn’t find too many complete units on-line and
ended up buying a pre-unit, 4-spring, 5-plate unit. This would probably be
adequate for a Triton so its well over the top for a 1932 250 BSA. Although I
believe you can buy a clutch hub adaptor to suit a BSA main-shaft taper I’ve
been unable to find any dimensions, so I’ve machined the Triumph hub with my
Dremel set-up on the tool-post of my lathe and using a ½” diameter grinding wheel.
This is not the perfect solution and it’s ended up setting the clutch a little
too far in towards the gearbox. If anyone out there has any information on BSA
/ Triumph gearbox mainshaft tapers – or a good idea how to “adjust” a taper fit
to make it tighter – please let me know.
For the engine cush drive I had a very productive day at
Kempton. I had the cush drive bearing – the part that fits to the engine
mainshaft and the nut. Rummaging though Martin’s tray of sprockets I found
exactly the right sprocket, 17T and a perfect fit on the bearing. I was then
sitting in the grandstand with my brother, enjoying a coffee and the vegetarian
option from the burger van (just in case Jane reads this) and took a look in
another vendors box of bits at the bottom of the steps. Incredibly I found a
cush drive sleeve and a spring that matched the bearing and Martin’s sprocket.
Finally, I made a couple of keys and cush drive nut on my lathe. You can see the whole lot whizzing around in the video.
I’m learning that you really have to take the rough with the
smooth on a job like this; some things go really well, others are a real b***tard.
I knew the primary chain was a ½” pitch 425 size, and the gearbox sprocket
measured up as ½” pitch and what I though was a 420 chain size. I bought a 44T
Talon alloy rear sprocket partly because it would be easier to machine to fit
the rear hub and also because they are very inexpensive – I have no real idea
how the gearing will work out and may need to change the gearing and sprocket. At present
I’ve geared it for 60 mph at 5,000 rpm as a starting point.
Having fitted a couple of new chains, I wheeled the bike
around about and got an unpleasant “click” every quarter rotation. It turned
out that the existing gearbox sprocket is a Reynolds chain size, which has a
larger roller diameter that metric equivalents. Given that the existing gearbox
sprocket was very hooked anyway, and not wanting to source and machine another
rear sprocket, with advice from Mike and Perry plus one of Perry’s contacts in
USA - a very helpful guy, I set about fitting a new 420 sprocket onto the BSA
gearbox sprocket hub. In summary the
only way to get the old teeth off is to use a handheld grinder to get it
roughly concentric.
I covered my lathe in sheets as you would a patient
undergoing a surgical operation and spent a gritty couple of hours grinding
away. Machining a spigot location for the new sprocket was even harder, both
time and lathe tool consuming. Finally the parts were finished and quite a
relief to complete the job with a TIG weld on the back side of the sprocket. I even
managed to keep the little BSA – three crossed rifles – stamp on the original
part.
Next week, the engine. I’ve skipped over the engine rebuild,
from my opening comments you’ll know that it works, but this BSA has some
interesting features being at the juncture in motorcycle development between
total loss and more modern lubrication systems.
Neither my lawn nor the neighbours will stand for me riding
the bike round the garden any more so I’ll now set to work on what will hopefully
be the final stages of this project - dream on!
Keep well and stay safe
Gareth







You must have the patience of a saint.
ReplyDelete