Chapter 15. Rusty Nuts
Progress has been made this last week, but as with everything in life some jobs are taking longer than expected. I still reckon I could have had a working bike for Mallory but it would have meant a lot of “overtime”. This week has been mainly about the footrests, tank de-rusting (hence the title) and the primary chain guard.
I’ve had a couple of coach bolts in place of the footrests
for the last couple of months, partly so I would be able to start the bike,
jump on it and not fall straight off, then ride it round the garden, but also
they make good supports during construction. It has though allowed me to be
sure how I would position the rests and herein lies the problem. I ran the
exhaust headers back in line with the lower frame rails, exactly per the
standard model, although tucked in a little further. I feel a lot more
comfortable with rear-sets and unfortunately this location put the axis of the
rests right in line with the rear chain. So, for some time I’ve envisaged a
cantilever arrangement from the rear engine-gearbox plate frame lugs, over the
pipes to the rests. This realised an advantage in that I could hang the exhaust
brackets from the rests themselves. My foot also cleared the clutch drum nicely
and I could fit the rear brake lever to the correct frame lug.
When I came to fitting the fabricated rests, suitable for standard
BSA rubbers there was just too much flex in the arrangement. I don’t think they
would have broken but we all know how important it is to have a firm foot
placement when things get exciting. My solution is one of those that I’m not
too pleased about but will work for now. I’ve fabricated a tubular brace to go
across the frame, over the chain and connect the two footrest supports. Its now
solid enough but doesn’t look that “period”.
When time allows I’ll try and get a couple of “U” shaped forgings (there’s
a friendly blacksmith near us who’s into bikes) to bolt onto the lugs and run
either over or under the pipe.
De-rusting the tank was a job I’d put off for ages, but
there was no avoiding it now. I tried the usual method of a few handfuls of
wood screws and a gallon of diesel into the tank, sloshed it round over a few
days and got some pristine screws out, but made little impact on the rust. Plus,
it was virtually impossible to get the last few screws out – in fact some may still be
wedged in place. I tried again with a box of coach bolt nuts that have been
lying on a shelf for years, and lo and behold shiny nuts, but no real
improvement. I thought about Kurust, which works a treat on frames, but there
is so much rumour and speculation with respect to petrol and the
dreaded ethanol, and what it reacts with I thought best avoided.
Another technique that gets good reviews is the electrolysis method so I’ve gone with this. A bag of washing soda was added to our Sainsbury’s click and collect order. This was made up into a 10% solution (10 grams of soda to 100 ml water) and added to the tank. I used an old solder reel to make a couple of electrodes to go into the two filler nozzles. These were connected via a spare stop light and an ammeter to an old battery and my new battery charger. If you try this, the negative goes to the tank – the part you’re trying to de-rust – and the positive to the electrode. There are plenty of links detailing the method on the interweb. The stop light reduces the amperage to a more or less acceptable level and was a good reminder to me that the power was on. The amount of rust that came off at the first pass is incredible – see pic - but having repeated it three times I’ve gone back to the nuts and diesel for a final swill round.
Another technique that gets good reviews is the electrolysis method so I’ve gone with this. A bag of washing soda was added to our Sainsbury’s click and collect order. This was made up into a 10% solution (10 grams of soda to 100 ml water) and added to the tank. I used an old solder reel to make a couple of electrodes to go into the two filler nozzles. These were connected via a spare stop light and an ammeter to an old battery and my new battery charger. If you try this, the negative goes to the tank – the part you’re trying to de-rust – and the positive to the electrode. There are plenty of links detailing the method on the interweb. The stop light reduces the amperage to a more or less acceptable level and was a good reminder to me that the power was on. The amount of rust that came off at the first pass is incredible – see pic - but having repeated it three times I’ve gone back to the nuts and diesel for a final swill round.
The final job I’ve tackled this week is the primary chain
guard, which is a shame in some ways because I’ve gone to like the raw
appearance of the exposed sprockets and chains whizzing around, but health and
safety must come first. (Do I get a gold star for saying that?) I have made it
from sheet steel, mainly because my TIG machine is a DC type and can’t weld
aluminium alloy.
I always start with a cardboard template and was then able to cut
out the whole guard in one piece from 18 swg (1.1 – 1.2mm) mild steel. Having
formed the curves I cut some slits to allow for the fold and
provide for a lap-type weld joint. For welders like me (somewhere between
inconsistent and rubbish) this is by far the easiest weld to get right. Also,
for once the steel itself was good quality – I find this is becoming a real
issue, possibly the composition, but also the amount of mill-scale which has to
be removed. Perhaps this is a result of on-line ordering, with no idea where
the steel is made and rolled, whereas a good local steel stockist could be a
better bet.


A shorter chapter this week. I had intended to write about
my BMW R80/7 CafĂ© Racer, but that’ll have to wait for another time. It looks like
Brooklands will be opening again in August, which is great news. I have completed
the volunteer survey which I found very useful as a way of expressing my own
personal concerns and requirements for going in as a volunteer. The more of us
who reply, the better we’ll be catered for if and when we feel we’re ready for it.
In
the meantime, good luck to all for the Brooklands Virtual Motorcycle day this
Saturday and Sunday. I know that Martin, Perry, Ian, Tony, Mike, and I’m sure
many others, have put a lot of work into this. I guess we’ll all be there in
spirit – all you can say is that it doesn’t really matter if it rains or not.
Stay safe and well
Gareth








Comments
Post a Comment